CAD PANACEA HAS MOVED TO http://cadpanacea.com
18 January 2006
Service Pack tip          
Here is a quick tip for extracting .msp files from the .exe file downloads. You need the .msp file if you are patching an AdminImage. Granted, this isn't something you do everyday, but this little trick will save you a minute or two when the time comes.

Save the following as a .REG file, then import it.


Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Extract MSP File]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\Extract MSP File\command]
@="%1 /e %1.msp"


Now when you right click on an .exe file, you will have to option to "Extract MSP File" as shown below.

Labels:


PermaLink       Posted 1/18/2006 07:59:00 AM     
5 COMMENTS!


Comment from: Anonymous Anonymous
Date: January 23, 2006 at 6:34:00 PM CST  

Thank you. I needed this because I could not get the dos commandline to work. This works like a charm. The only comment would be that it creates the msp file one folder above the location of the service pack exe. It also names the msp file after the first word in the name of that folder and without an extension. Once I figured that out, it really helped.

Once again - Thanks,

Keith White


Comment from: Blogger R.K. McSwain
Date: January 23, 2006 at 8:58:00 PM CST  

That's strange, %1 /e %1.msp just passes the filename and appends the .msp extension.


Comment from: Anonymous Anonymous
Date: January 24, 2006 at 6:29:00 PM CST  

You know, I know nothing about a lot of things...and this is one of them. I used the reg file to add the menu. When I used the menu on the ADT2006 Service Pack 1 admin image the deployment wizard accepted the msp file (after I renamed it) without any problems. It seemed to update the admin image. I will install the program on a computer to see if the service pack was installed.

Keith


Comment from: Anonymous Anonymous
Date: January 25, 2006 at 3:29:00 PM CST  

I installed ADT2006 after updating the image with the msp file. It installed ok and reported the service pack in the production information window.

No matter my efforts, I could not get the dos command version to work like posted on Autodesk's website. This tool helped.

Thanks,

Keith


Comment from: Anonymous Anonymous
Date: February 8, 2008 at 11:07:00 AM CST  

R.K.,
I tried this out and I do get the import on right clicking but nothing happens. I did a search on my entire machine and can't find an msp file. Do you know of something I may have done wrong?
Thanks,
Ron C
email:ron.couillard@cadsoft-consult.com

Post a comment