CAD PANACEA HAS MOVED TO http://cadpanacea.com
29 March 2007
AutoCAD 2008 Network deployment          

Starting with 2008, there is no "Deployment Wizard" any longer, at least as a separate application that you have to install. So how do you build the deployment if there is no deployment wizard? You'll see not long after you insert the DVD into the drive.





The above image is part of the dialog that appears when you insert the DVD. From here, you can install a single standalone copy on the local machine, create a network deployment, or install other tools such as the network license manager. Choose the "Create Deployments" options to build the deployment. The steps are similar to the old "Deployment Wizard".

After a successful build of the deployment, two shortcuts are created. One to install the deployment, and one to modify the deployment.





In earlier versions, if you were scripting the installation of a network deployment, you could use a line like this


\\Server\Software\AutoDesk\Deployments\2006\ACAD2006\AdminImage\deploy.exe "ACAD2006"

...where "ACAD2006" was the name or your deployment.


Now, if you look at the new shortcut that is created, you will see that the target looks something like this.

\\Server\Software\AutoDesk\Deployments\2008\
ACD\AdminImage\Setup.exe \\Server\Software\AutoDesk\
Deployments\2008\ACD\AdminImage\ACD.ini

(...some carriage returns have been inserted in this string for readability, but this is really all one line.) As you can see, "Setup.ini" is being passed to "Setup.exe" now.


If you are scripting your install in a BAT file for example, just use the above line instead of calling "deploy.exe". I have noticed one problem though. Setup.exe ends and calls other .exe files. This is a problem because as soon as "Setup.exe" ends, my BAT file takes off and tries to do the things it needs to do, but the other .EXE files that "Setup.exe" calls are still working...  Still looking for a way around this....

Labels:


PermaLink       Posted 3/29/2007 04:28:00 PM     
9 COMMENTS!


Comment from: Anonymous Anonymous
Date: April 4, 2007 at 3:12:00 PM CDT  

Hopefully soon Autodesk will have a mass uninstaller and system cleaner for all of their older versions installed on a computer before the installation of a new version. With new versions coming out every year it doesn't take long for the unusable garbage to build up and there are still some shared files that can not be deleted after the new version is installed.


Comment from: Blogger Louisa Holland
Date: April 9, 2007 at 12:33:00 AM CDT  

Holy Cow! Is that UNC support I see?


Comment from: Anonymous Anonymous
Date: May 3, 2007 at 5:53:00 PM CDT  

I just did a test install of C3D and LDT using the setup.exe. I put a pause in the install batch file between the C3D line and the LDT line. I waited for the first install to finish before hitting enter to allow the batch file to continue.

You can also create a wait.bat and call it from your install batch file. The contents of the wait.bat will vary depending on your OS. See http://malektips.com/dos0017.html.

As you probably know Autodesk has not tested and does not support scripted installs. Although this never stopped me before =). I have been using batch files to do the worksation installs since LDT3 with no problems.

However, with my 2008 install something did go wrong. When I created the deployment I disabled drawing encryption. But I can still password protect my drawings. I am in the process right now of uninstalling C3D and LDT and I will reinstall from the shortcut Autodesk wants you to use. I will post back with my results.

Jeff Paulsen


Comment from: Anonymous Anonymous
Date: May 3, 2007 at 6:51:00 PM CDT  

I did a fresh install on another computer using the link provided in the deployment. Drawing encryption is still enabled. I double checked my deployment and it is supposed to be disabled. I think I will take this subject to AUGI and the DG's from here.

Jeff Paulsen


Comment from: Blogger R.K. McSwain
Date: May 4, 2007 at 9:21:00 AM CDT  

Thanks for the tips Jeff.

Let me know how the encryption thing plays out....


Comment from: Anonymous Anonymous
Date: May 16, 2007 at 9:52:00 AM CDT  

I've always used script installs, but use vbscript instead of batch scripts.

With install shield setup.exe files generally you can use

\Setup.exe /s /sms

This tells setup.exe to remain open until all the child processes finish, so you can monitor setup.exe to see when the install finsihes.

Previously after creating an install I had to edit the ini file to remove a hard coded UNC path to where I created the deployment so that SMS installs would use a local install source instead of a hard coded path. I don't see a hard coded UNC, but it still appears to be installing from a central location. Anyone know what I need to change to remove the refrence to the central location?


Comment from: Anonymous Anonymous
Date: June 8, 2007 at 8:20:00 AM CDT  

This works:
start /w \\AESSQL\AutoCad\C3D2008\"C3D2008_INSTALL"


Comment from: Blogger R.K. McSwain
Date: June 8, 2007 at 8:39:00 AM CDT  

Thanks Matthew.

I forget to post back with my finished results. I'll try to do this soon.


Comment from: Anonymous Anonymous
Date: August 14, 2007 at 3:54:00 PM CDT  

Autodesk has acknowledged that for C3D & LDT 2008 the selection to disable drawing encryption doesn’t work. I have had the same problem and created 4 install images and still get the password protection tab. I have also experienced a similar issue in trying to remove the impression toolbar. Don’t want users to be downloading 20 mb file that they don’t have rights to install anyway.

Post a comment