CAD PANACEA HAS MOVED TO http://cadpanacea.com
18 December 2006
Who REALLY won the 2006 AUGI Top DAUG?          
Who REALLY won the AUGI Top DAUG contest held at Autodesk University 2006?


If someone told you that out of 9 contestants, only one person completed the final portion of the contest correctly, with no errors, you might think that person would be declared the winner, right?


This isn't how it works in this contest though...


The first place award was given to Lee Ambrosius, even though I was the only person to complete the drawing correctly with no errors. Of course, this little fact was quietly omitted from the AUGI web site and other announcements.


In case you are unfamiliar with the contest, here is how it works. Everyone at AU is invited to take a 45 question, multiple choice test, graded on speed and accuracy. The top 10 finishers are then invited back to compete in a live drawing test where you are given a paper drawing to duplicate in 10 minutes. The contest is again graded on time and accuracy.


Here is where these "mystery rules" surfaced. I was the only person to get the drawing 100% correct in the allotted time, and then I was told, "Sorry, you can't win again" (I won last year). Why? If you find out, let me know. I've asked the AUGI board members for a copy of the "Top DAUG" rules, but apparently none exist, so I have to assume the rules are just made up as they go along. Otherwise, why was I allowed to participate at all?


I guess we should tell the St. Louis Cardinals to not bother playing the 2007 baseball season since they won the 2006 World Series.


By the way, this is in no way a knock at Lee or any of the other contestants.


Lastly, I hope the digital camera works out better for Lee than the HP branded iPod I received last year worked out for me, which died after 5 months of use.


PermaLink       Posted 12/18/2006 05:34:00 PM     
5 COMMENTS!


Comment from: Anonymous Anonymous
Date: December 19, 2006 at 1:29:00 PM CST  

Maybe David Harrington or Chris Linder should have been able to defend their titles as well (which was not mentioned last year), then last years outcome might have been different with David being Top DAUG again. It is all relative, then again we may never know. It's the fun of participating anyways...


Comment from: Anonymous Anonymous
Date: December 22, 2006 at 3:12:00 PM CST  

As someone who would love to be a Top DAUG one day, I like that previous winners "retire". You've earned the title, the rest of AUGI and AU will always know who you are...why not let other people join the club? If you really want to keep competing, convince AUGI to have a "Top DAUG" All-Stars contest, where all the previous winners face off. Then you could win that one as many times as you want.


Comment from: Blogger R.K. McSwain
Date: December 23, 2006 at 7:07:00 AM CST  

Kate, this wasn't about the desire to "keep competing", it was about the fact that I was allowed to compete, finished first and THEN told I was ineligible.

The AUGI people running the contest should have admitted they made a mistake by not documenting the "rules", and let the results stand.

But instead it was, and continues to be, handled in a most non-professional way.

Thanks for your comments, and Merry Christmas.


Comment from: Blogger Unknown
Date: December 26, 2006 at 2:29:00 PM CST  

I think this is the unsaid rule... I won it in 2003 and new that i was now retired. How did i know? I was actually #11 on the test and someone it the top ten had won it before and bowed out knowing he was retired. I am glad he did, otherwise i would have never had a shot at the title (especially with my last 3 scores) I take the test every year and if it were to break the top ten again i know what i need to do. I think its tough to manage all that AUGI does at AU with the voulenteers they have, I also think that Top DAUG is only thought about around AU time. So my suggestion is to voulenteer to make Top DAUG better. My 2cents... Thanks.


Comment from: Blogger Dana
Date: December 26, 2006 at 2:43:00 PM CST  

That really stinks. You'll always be my top DAUG.

Post a comment